February Security Patch update is now rolling to Essential Phones. You should receive the update on your phone soon. The new update from Essential brings in latest security patch from Google, Modem Patches and various other performance improvements and bug fixes. Google too released February Security Patch Update for its Pixel lineup yesterday. Essential has been very quick in giving monthly updates to it's one and only PH1 smartphone.
How to Install the update on your Essential PH1?February Security Patch Update for Essential PH1
You can either wait for the update to arrive on your phone or you can sideload the OTA Update file on your device. To check for updates on your Essential PH1 head over to :
Settings>>About Phone >> System Updates
Click refresh and see if the update popups on your device. Since the update has been rolled out already you will see a notification pop up asking you to download the OTA File. The OTA update file is 1.06GB in size. Therefore we recommend you to switch to WiFi network and then download the update package to avoid unnecessary data charges.
Sideloading the OTA Zip File on Essential PH1
The OTA Zip file can also be downloaded from the Essential’s website in case you don't receive the update on your device. There are two ways to update your device to the latest software from Google. You can install the OTA Update package in recovery mode or you can download the complete image and flash through fastboot. Both the methods has been detailed below for your convenience.Essential Phone Update
Sideloading OTA Update Zip file through Recovery
- Download the February Security Patch OTA Update Zip from below given link
- Verify the checksum of the image. The OTA mechanism has a built-in validation feature, but verifying will save you some time if the file is incomplete.
- Make sure USB debugging is enabled, then execute:
adb reboot recovery
- If you're unable to use ADB to reboot into recovery, you can use the key combination for your device. To get into Fastboot, press Volume-Down + Power buttons. For Recovery mode, press Volume-Up + Power buttons.
- Then, navigate to the Recovery option by pressing the Volume-Down button. Once Recovery is highlighted, press the Power button to confirm.
- Your device is now in Recovery mode. An Android logo with red exclamation mark should appear on the screen.
- Hold the Power button, then press the Volume-Up button one time. When the menu appears, select Apply update from ADB.
- Run the following command:
adb devices. Then check that your device shows up with “sideload” next to its name
- Run the following command:
adb sideload ota_file.zipwhere ota_file.zip is the name of the file you downloaded and verified.
- Once the update finishes, select Reboot system now to reboot your phone.
Installing Fastboot Image on your Essential PH1
- Basic Computer Knowledge
- Fastboot Factory Image File - Download Here
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot Setup - Download Here
- Essential PH1 - With more than 75% Battery
- USB 3.0 Cable - Recommended
Method for Installing the Factory Image
- Download all the above-mentioned files. Extract the factory image zip file in Local Disc C: Program Files (x86)>>Minimal ADB and Fastboot Folder
- To Enable OEM Unlocking, go to Settings>> About phone>>Build Number and tap on it several times until you see “You're now a developer” toast message. Now head over to Developer Options and Enable OEM Unlocking.
- Reboot your device into fastboot mode: Turn off your device and hold Volume Down + Power Button at the same time. Your device should now be in fastboot mode.
- Connect your Essential phone to your computer with a USB cable.
- Once in Fastboot Mode. Navigate to C:Drive >>Program Files(x86)>>Minimal ADB and Fastboot
- Hold shift key on Keyboard and right click to open a command window and then enter the following command:
fastboot flashing unlock
- Press the Volume-down button to navigate to the YES option, then press the Power button to confirm. Now your bootloader is unlocked.
- Again Open the Minimal ADB and Fastboot Folder and look for a file named “flash_all.bat”. Run the above file and the flashing process should begin automatically. Wait for till all the images are flashed successfully.
- After flashing, it’s a good idea to relock your bootloader for security. Go back to fastboot mode and run the command:
fastboot flashing lock
- That’s it. Now you have the latest software on your Essential PH1 Phone.
If you have any questions regarding the flashing procedure then do let us know in the comments section. We will try to get back to you as soon as possible. If you find this article interesting, then please read our other articles where we talk about the latest in TECH.